Perhaps out of sheer morbid curiosity, I put "Go on a speed-date" on my 30 Before 30 List. Now that I've started doing research, I'm kinda glad I did because it's been hysterical looking at speed-dating websites! The most popular and highly recommended speed-dating service on Yelp was onspeeddating.com so I checked it out. I had a pretty good laugh browsing all the crazy speed-date themes. To name a few:
- "Rescue Me" Fireman Singles Party (which I must admit, I'm considering after seeing some of FDNY's finest in the flesh!)
- Cougar/Boy Toy Night (tagline: "Can't find a good man, raise one!")
- "HUNG" Speed Dating (Do they get measured before being given a name tag? I'd like to know)
- "Non-Practicing" Jew Night
- "Flying Solo" Night (a.k.a. speed date a flight attendant)
- FINANCE-ista Speed Dating (for the classic pairing of bankers and fashion industry girls)
Most of the themes truly make me cringe (particularly "Asian Persuasion Night"—the last thing I need is some dude with yellow fever). But one theme actually made a lot of sense to me: "Have Passport, Will Travel" Speed Dating. I could totally relate to the description:
Have you ever been on a date with someone who'd never left their hometown and had no aspirations to do so in the future? You on the other hand, have been all over Europe, to South Asia and are currently looking for someone to go on safari with in Tanzania. Meet your mate and potential new travel partner at this speed dating event geared towards "worldy singles".
They kinda nailed it! It's so important to me that the guy I'm dating is well-traveled and cognizant that there's a big world out there. So now I just have to work up the guts for this. It might help if I con a friend or two to join me too! Any takers?
Have you been on a speed-date? What was it like? Do tell!